WASH and Infrastructure Engineer (for Emergency project) at People In Need – PIN
- Company: People In Need – PIN
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Oromia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ethiopia
People in Need is non-governmental, non-profit organization founded on the ideals of humanism, freedom, equality and solidarity. We consider human dignity and freedom to be fundamental values. We believe that people anywhere in the world should have the right to make decisions about their lives and to share the rights expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The People in Need organization was established in 1992 by a group of Czech war correspondents who were no longer satisfied with merely relaying information about ongoing conflicts and began sending out aid. It gradually became established as a professional humanitarian organization striving to provide aid in troubled regions and support adherence to human rights around the world.
Throughout the 26 years of its existence, People in Need has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe. In addition to humanitarian aid and human rights, it now also targets education and helps people living in social exclusion.
We are part of Alliance2015, a strategic network of seven European non-governmental organizations engaged in humanitarian aid and development projects. This collaboration increases effectiveness, both in working in the target countries and in campaigns aimed at influencing the attitudes of politicians and the general public in Europe.
In our over 16 years operation in Ethiopia, has focused on projects in five main areas of interest: Education and Social protection, Environment, Livelihood and Agriculture, Water, sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Emergency programs
More information at www.peopleinneed.cz or https://www.clovekvtisni.cz/en/what-we-do/humanitarian-aid-and-development/ethiopia
PIN currently invites applicants for the position of: WASH and Infrastructure Engineer for the specific emergency project called ”Multisectoral life-saving response to the acute needs of the most vulnerable IDPs and returnees in Guji and West Guji zones, Oromia, Ethiopia”.
Duration of Contract: Definite employment contract until July 31, 2021
Required Number: 2 (two)
Place of work: Based in Negelie Borena, Guji Zone and Bule Hora, West Guji Oromia Region with frequent travel to the project sites.
WASH and Infrastructure Engineer involves in designing, planning, supervising and monitoring the construction of the Water, sanitation and other water management infrastructures for project entitled ”Multisectoral life-saving response to the acute needs of the most vulnerable IDPs and returnees in Guji and West Guji zones, Oromia, Ethiopia” Operational areas.
The WASH and Infrastructure Engineer required supervising construction of contracted or on-force construction and rehabilitation of water schemes, sanitation and other infrastructures using contractors or unskilled and skilled labours. The position also requires proper management of materials, equipment and other resources under the project and reporting periodically to supervisors.
In coordination with Engineering Coordinator, Project manager and Procurement unit, administer contractual issues and deal with supplier, follow up and participate in BID process by adhering to the organizational and National low. Participate in technical assessment, proposal development and assessment for new emerging projects. Provide technical support during various manuals, construction standard and checklists preparation together with the Engineering Coordinator and making sure it is applied in the field.
WASH and Infrastructure Engineer works under direct supervision of an Engineering Coordinator (Technically) and Project Manager (admin) with close cooperation HR, Financial, Logistic, M and E, Safeguarding, Engineering departments and another Projects working under other programs.
- Responsible for day to day monitoring and supervision of all construction or rehabilitation project activities to ensure high technical quality and timeliness of implementation.
- Prepare required construction designs including schematics, detailed bill of quantities (BOQs), and budget estimates in response to emerging PIN WASH activities.
- Monitoring and evaluate all WASH-related construction projects, revise plans, designs, and strategy as required.
- Prepare procurement documents for WASH-related construction works following PIN procedures.
- Monitor the progress and implementation of interventions/activities as per the relevant contract.
- Supervise site supervisors, support and supervise technical trainings
- Collect GPS locations and Prepare KMZ files with Google earth and documentation
- Monitor and approve construction material quality for the construction activity
- Minimum BSc in Water Engineering, Water supply and Sanitation Engineering and other related fields of studies; with minimum 4 (Four) years of experience in emergency sector.
- Emergency Project work experience, Experience in construction & rehabilitation of boreholes, water scheme, latrines & rainwater harvesting.
- Excellent documentation skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office and AutoCAD, Google earth software
- Knowledge about core humanitarian standards
- Experience and working relationship with partners, local government and communities etc.
- Previous working experience in the INGO environment
- Excellent knowledge of spoken & written Amharic and English, knowledge of local language (which is Oromifa) is advantageous
- 3 strong references (will be crosschecked/contacted)