Software Engineer at John Snow Inc.(JSI)
- Company: John Snow Inc.(JSI)
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Ethiopia
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Ethiopia for over 25 years.
JSI is implementing the five-year Digital Health Activity in Ethiopia, which is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The purpose of this Activity is to support the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) to improve the quality of health services and create a sustainable health care system through the use of data for decision making, as well as to provide similar services to other countries in Africa or to respond to a crisis in Ethiopia (as needed). The primary objectives of the Activity are to 1) support information technology systems and data repository at all levels; 2) build a culture of data use; and 3) improve capacity and governance of MOH health information systems management.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who will be responsible for the development, validation and release of project software. He/she works closely with the Lead Software Engineer, Product Owner, Business Analysts and other staff in order to understand business problems and develop software solutions. The position requires critical thinking, troubleshooting and solving complex technical problem skills. He/she is also responsible for ensuring the smooth running of activities and compliance with JSI policies and regulations.
Main duties & Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities of the Software Engineer will include, but is not limited to the following:
- Work with Project Managers, Product Owners and other staff to understand user requirements and design, develop, test and document software that meet these requirements.
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Efficiently execute the full life cycle of software development.
- Write well designed, testable and efficient codes and integrate software components into a fully functional software system.
- Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures.
- Document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made to the system.
- Respond promptly and professionally to bug reports.
- Tailor and deploy software tools, processes and metrics.
- Provide expert advice to the project team to execute user requirements from stand-point of complying with project plans and industry standards.
- Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Provide timely reports to the supervisor on activity status and issues.
- Occasional travel to user sites to assess product and project performance.
- Supervise other MIS staff supporting software development and/or implementation.
- Responsible for implementing JSI’s Accountability Framework and Code of Conduct, and adhering to JSI’s polices on fraud management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Applicants for this position should possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (Software Engineering, Computer Science, etc) is required.
- 3 years of relevant experience working in software engineering is must. Hands on experience in designing interactive applications is a plus.
- Familiarity with software development methodology and release processes is required.
- Experience with test-driven development and distributed version control is preferable.
- Must have deep knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies.
- Mastery in software engineering tools, especially working on the process of software development using agile methodology is required.
- Strong project management and time management skills; must be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Excellent written and verbal English; proficiency in Amharic.
- Previous work experience with USAID-funded projects is desirable.
- Proficiency in common computer packages (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel) relevant to the work.
- Use of project management tools like JIRA, Trello, Slack is desirable.
JSI/WEI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should follow the below instruction and apply through the online application form.
Fill out the online application form using this form: Online Application Form.
If you don’t fill the online application form, your application will not be considered.
Submit your resume and cover letter to
You must include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
If this is not included, your application will not be considered.
Any application received after the closing date will not be considered.
Closing Date : July 10, 2020