Senior Environmental Health Manager at International Rescue Committee – IRC
- Company: International Rescue Committee – IRC
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Assosa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Environmental / Natural Resource Jobs in Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Summary Statement of the Job and Detail Responsibilities:
Environmental Health Program (EH) in Assosa field office has started operation at Sherkole refugee Camp in Sherkole in 2002. IRC’s EH program has grown and expanded dynamically to serve refugee population of additional four Camps and to local communities living adjacent to the refugee Camps. The current refugee population served by the IRC’s EH program has grown to 70,917 refugees in five Camp and more than 22, 817 refugee hosting communities living adjacent to the refugee Camps. The sector has three sub sectors of water supply, sanitation facility provision and promotion hygiene practices to the targeted communities. Sanitation and hygiene promotion sub sectors are supervised by Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Manager and the water supply component is supervised by senior EH officer. The Senior Environmental Health/WASH Manager is responsible to maintain program quality and to ensure smooth implementation of IRC’s EH program and Management of IRC WASH program by providing leadership guidance to Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion manager and senior EH officer. The program focuses on provision of adequate and safe water supply, safe sanitation facilities and promotion of safe hygiene practices in averting diarrheal disease risk factors. The position will be based in Assosa town with 50% travel to refugee camps.
The position reports to the Field Coordinator operationally and technically to the Assistant Environmental Health (EH) Coordinator.
- Ensure that EH projects are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to goal, objectives, and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Guide EH officers to prepare specifications, designs and BOQs for Water and Sanitation infrastructures.
- Guide sanitation and hygiene promotion manager to ensure safe sanitation conditions in refugee Camps/settlement
- With support from the field coordinator, maintains smooth work relationship with local governments, ARRA, UNHCR and other NGOs working in refugee Camps.
- Regular conduct review meetings with community representatives and refugee central committees (RCCs) in five Camps to ensure EH program is client responsive
- Ensures quality of EH program meet international, national and IRC standards
- Accurately manage budgets of different grants to avoid over/under spending during project implementation while maintaining proper project implementation timeline.
- Supervise the purchase and use of materials, equipment and supplies and keep PR tracking records
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluations of projects,
- Contribute to the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the Assistant EH Coordinator, and Grants team;
- Ensure accurate documentation of EH activities and experience at field office level
- Conduct regular monitoring and technical support visits to project sites
- Conduct needs assessments, project review assessments, and post-project impact assessments as needed and advised.
- Coordinate with Hygiene Promotion Specialist, Gender Officer and other technical units or sectors to ensure targeted support and effective, quality programming.
- Draft TOR for consultancy services, contractual works in EH program and share to technical unit
- Ensure payment certificates requests from contractual works follow proper analysis and IRC’s procedures as highlighted in conditions of contract
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Assist EH staff recruitments by coordinating with the Human Resources Department
- Maintain smooth work relationship with water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion , finance , supply chain and HR staff in the IRC Assosa field sites /Camp to ensure team spirit and to provide effective technical, logistical and management support for all aspects of project implementation.
- Maintain updated job descriptions, conduct interviews, and orient new staff to the IRC and the EH program
- Provide ongoing leadership to the project team and overseeing implementation and coordination of activity plans to ensure targets are met.
- Provide ongoing supervision, and technical support and guidance to EH staff, and ensure all EH staff adhere to best-practice principles in all aspects of program implementation
- In conjunction with camp managers, ensure Performance Management System documentation for all staff is in place and followed up regularly
- Build staff capacity in work plan development and reporting to ensure accurate monitoring and documentation of activities.
- Recommend and implement a capacity building/development plan for project staff based on detailed capacity needs assessments exercise.
- Ensure EH staff understands and follows IRC and donor Policies and Procedures.
Grants Management & Reporting
- Lead and coordinate all the Environmental Health grants; develop and maintain work, spending and procurement plans for all projects.
- Prepare finance utilization plan and review monthly financial BVA.
- Participate in Grants Opening, Mid-Term and Closing meetings.
- Review monthly reports with due attention to consistency and accuracy and submit to technical unit meeting agreed deadlines for reporting.
- Draft internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as the need arises.
- Assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
Representation & Coordination
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders – including NGOs, UN agencies, Gov’s representatives and other IRC sectors to enhance cooperation and coordination.
- Ensure that information from coordination meetings is shared internally and with other sectors, as appropriate.
- Attend the WASH coordination meetings or represent the IRC in other relevant forums as required.
- 4 years wok experience for Frist degree and 3 years for MScs in water resource engineering, civil, or another related field.
- Experience of supervising contractors and interaction with international staff and partners and donors.
- Proven management, project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, email, and database experience.
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
- Ability to work under pressure in a potentially unstable security environment.
- Flexible, willing to travel and live temporarily in harsh environment
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 1 November. 2021