Senior Data Management Associate at UNHCR
- Company: UNHCR
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Ethiopia
The position is supervised by a professional staff member who provides the incumbent with general guidance and workplans. The incumbent works independently with an oversight from the supervisor. The position directly supervises some support staff.
The momentum gained in data management has improved the leadership of UNHCR in various areas such as refugee ID for CRRF and a data-sharing agreement with the World Bank to enable socio-economic opportunities for refugees. The requirement for high-quality refugee data will require a G7 position to cover Ethiopia.
The position will cover five Sub-Offices overseeing 26 refugee camps, 3 reception centres for new arrivals, and 39 refugee settlements in Ethiopia. Countrywide, the operation has more than 76 registration staff and various emergencies in Field and Sub-Offices.
- The Office has reliable and up-to-date data on persons of concern.
- Standard and ad-hoc reports are produced. Trends and patterns of data are analysed and interpreted.
- Ensure regular database back-ups and integrity of the databases through timely data entry and verifying accuracy and relevance of data on a regular basis…
- Coordinate the data transfer of refugee records amongst camps.
- May be required to collect GIS data, update maps and undertake field trips to project sites.
- Ensure that the data which are mainly related to asylum seekers, refugees and persons of concern to UNHCR are correctly entered into the computer databases.
- Develop and run the required reports from the databases used in the operation including ProGress database and assist in analysis/interpretation of data to identify patterns/trends.
- Compile data and interpret the statistics for various reports.
- Develop forms and tools for data collection and analysis.
- Identify knowledge and hardware gaps of the operation in relation to all aspects of data management.
- Perform any other duty as required.
- Decide on data recorded in the database.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents.
- Escalate issues to supervisor if the incident cannot be resolved within area of responsibility.
- Have access to relevant data and records.
- Supervise data collection and data entry support staff.
Type of Contract
- Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract
- Six (6) Months
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in information and communication technology or related field.
- Minimum 11 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable qualification and competencies.
- Microsoft SQL Server (2005 or later) Certification.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specified training relevant to the functions of the position.
- Knowledge of any other relevant UN or local language.
- Previous experience working with UN/UNHCR.
Managerial and Cross Functional Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
- Managing Performance
Method of Application
Closing date: Jun 4, 2020