Security Officer at Save The Children
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Save The Children
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Hawassa - SNNPR Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Security Jobs in Ethiopia
As a member of Senior Management Team, the Safety and Security officer shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Safety & security Management of Hawasa Field Office. The Safety and Security officer is responsible for the safety and security of the office staff and assets. This includes being responsible for setting, regularly updating and ensuring the implementation of safety and security policies and procedures in consultation with the Field Office Manager. Safety and security policies and procedures should be in line with SC standards and systems, contextually appropriate and designed to ensure all staff and beneficiary safety while enabling program implementation.
Roles and Responsibilities
As a member of the consortium Management Team, contribute to:
· Support the field office SMT & Programme Leadership Team
· Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with: host government authorities, , partner agencies including local and international NGOs
· Ensure that the required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies, working closely with the security departments in Addis Office
Safety and Security
· Develop and regularly update all safety and security manuals, policies, procedures and systems in accordance with the SC standards and taking into account the evolving context in Ethiopia & SNNPR region. These should include security plans for each location as well as evacuation plans.
· Ensure that all staff, visitors, and partners adhere to the approved safety and security systems and policies at all times
· Track and regularly disseminate information and advisories on safety and security to all relevant stakeholders
· Track and report on all safety and security incidents within 24 hours both within the office & projects operational areas
· Manage and ensure the implementation of safety and security systems within all project implementation & country office facilities and vehicles including designing facility upgrades and installation of security systems.
· Manage all project implementation Field Office communications systems in collaboration with the Field Operation Managers to ensure rapid communications in all emergency eventualities.
· Conduct regular thorough, professional assessments of program activities and their impact on staff security and institute measures and policies to reduce staff vulnerability using security techniques and approaches
· In consultation with the Safety and Security Advisor & the Field Office Manager, manage security situations and in case of crisis serve as a key member of the Crisis Management Team.
· Develop, regularly update and ensure consistent use of in-country and pre-departure security briefings
· Identify staff training needs on security and conduct regular security training for all staff
· Ensure, in collaboration with other key project staff, review security budget & sufficient budgeting for security requirements in future new proposals
Collaboration and Representation
· Regularly coordinate and collaborate with other actors in Hawassa & other project locations to ensure the most effective and full analysis of the evolving safety and security situation in the Project Operational Area & as well as in the country
· Represent Save the Children with government at regional level, non-government agencies, communities and within Save the Children as appropriate and when requested to do so.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
· Actively participate in the Field Office & Country Office’s emergency preparedness and planning processes
· Integrate emergency preparedness in all safety and security planning and staff development.
· Ensure that safety and security policies and procedures specifically and clearly establish guidelines for emergency preparedness and response in accordance with Save the Children’ standards and Emergency Preparedness Planning
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Advance diploma or BA Degree in Social Science or related areas
- A minimum of 5 years security and operations experience in a corporate or NGO environment, including of managing security / operations in complex, volatile environments.
- A general appreciation of the issues concerning the NGO sector, both development and humanitarian issues
- Solid experience of developing and ensuring the application of policies and procedures
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Ability to develop and maintain user-friendly data collection and tracking systems for movement
- Ability to work effectively with and manage people of diverse backgrounds, to motivate and inspire and to promote positive, lasting change in their lives.
- Demonstrable commitment to humanitarian principles and accountability frameworks, especially in working with very vulnerable populations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
How to Apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. To apply and for a copy of the full role profile can be found at:
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.