Safeguarding Officer at Humanity & Inclusion (Handicap International)
- Company: Humanity & Inclusion (Handicap International)
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
Objectives Of The Position
The Safeguarding officer will:
– support the Regional Project Manager HELASIA on the rolling out of HI’s institutional safeguarding package for HI host and affiliated countries. S/he will make sure to develop inclusive and locally–adapted tools (using the HI standard ones as reference) in order to support the country teams in doing so.
– In coordination with the Operational Teams, will support project’s partners in respecting their safeguarding obligations in an inclusive manner.
1. In coordination with the PM and by clear delegation, develop the locally adapted strategy of Safeguarding deployment in the program and support the rolling out
· Based on the HI internal framework, the safeguarding officer develops a baseline snapshot of current processes and systems in place for HI country teams and partners;
· Develop or update the Program Safeguarding Action Plans and country ones with the PD and CMs to ensure the accurate rolling out of the inclusive safeguarding mechanisms in place.
· In collaboration with country project teams and partners, help scoring the project and update/establish the risk analysis and mitigation measures for its implementation.
· Develops inclusive tools for project teams to use in order to be compliant with the different safeguarding tools that exist and support teams in using these tools
· Update the Safeguarding monitoring table every 6 months and adapt the action plan accordingly
· Work with colleagues to incorporate best practice into risk management and control activities.
· Participation in safeguarding networks where possible.
2. Building capacity of HELASIA country teams and partners, supporting implementation and monitoring of their plans
Capacity of HI teams
· Develop and conduct training, awareness raising and other capacity building activities to support the HI safeguarding focal points, project teams and volunteers in respecting the safeguarding obligations.
· Support each HI country teams on the set up of inclusive complaint and feedback mechanisms (CFM) for their partners and beneficiaries
· Monitors the well-functioning of the inclusive HI CFMs in place and supports teams in place.
Capacity of partners (regional and country partners)
· In coordination with project teams and with the partners, support and analysis the Safeguarding part of the partners’ assessment (due diligence for contract) to confirm the actions to be done partner by partner
· Deliver training, awareness raising and other capacity building activities to partner organizations in Ethiopia or to the other project countries.
· Support the partners on developing their own action plan and safeguarding mechanisms (including CFM) – depending of their capacities and involvement.
· Share interesting learning opportunities with team members.
3. Coordination of complaints and cases Category 3 (Safeguarding complaints) in Ethiopia and share lessons with the other programmes where possible
· Depending of the CFM in place, can be the person in charge of receiving the complaints from the system (tbc)
· Support the Regional PM, Country Director and Focal points on receiving and reporting accordingly the Safeguarding complaints to EthicsPoint.
· Insure the first check of confidentiality and protection of the victim or/and whistle-blower in coordination with the Regional PM, Country Director (if not involved).
· Under decision of the R of the case, can participate to the incident cell or investigation cell of the case, can participate to the incident cell or investigation cell
· Participate in the analysis of Safeguarding related cases with the HQ Safeguarding referent and PD at least one time per year.
4. Organisational learning
Contributes to learning and continuous improvement of HI’s interventions
· Contributes to the analysis of lessons learning done during the process in order to share lessons learned for other and future projects.
· Participate in working groups on the topic of safeguarding.
· Organize regular learning activities with operations, technical and support teams, partners and stakeholders to discuss lessons and identify recommendations for improving safeguarding practices.
· Collaborate with the technical specialists Protection, MH-PSS and Inclusion in order to promote the sharing of tools and good practices in the field of prevention and management of violence and abuse (e.g. inclusive complaint reporting system, referral service, analysis of protection risks, communication with disabled people, etc.).)
Shares the knowledge produced on the field of expertise (s)he is working on internally to the program and more broadly at the organizational level through the use of HI Library.
5. Respect of HI identity, rules and policies
Aim: HI identity, ethic, rules and procedures are respected
Benchmark: HI code of conduct and ethic, HI mandate and values, HI rules and operating procedure, HI policies are known, understood, applied and respected by the MEAL manager and the wider MEAL team
In coordination with the Human resources manager and the coordination team:
· Know, understand, apply and respect HI code of conduct and ethics, HI mandate and values, HI rules and operating procedure, HI policies (child protection policy, policy and mechanism for the prevention of and fight against bribery, the protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse policy) and make sure they are known, understood, applied and respected by the wider team;
Method of ApplicationInterested applicants who meet the above criteria should email it at
Please clearly state the position you apply in the subject of your email. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for exam/interview no phone calls please.
We’re committed to safeguarding and promoting child protection and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This position involves working with beneficiaries and is subject to strict safer recruitment checks. The successful candidate will be required to complete a police check and sign self-declaration form to help us verify your suitability to work with children including checks with past employers.
Humanity & Inclusion is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes women and persons with disabilities to apply.
Closing Date : 23rd January, 2021