Project Assistant- Protection at International Organization for Migration
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: International Organization for Migration – IOM
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Oromia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Ethiopia
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the current circumstance in Ethiopia, currently there is a heavy influx of ex-combatants who will require assistance to reintegrate into communities after long periods in exile. Hence, to secure sustainable and peaceful reintegration of the ex-combatants having returned to their communities IOM along with the Government of Ethiopia is going to implement a disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration Project.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Protection Officer / Mainstreaming – and in close coordination with the respective units in the field, the incumbent will give support the Protection section through providing a range of programmatic, procedural, and operational support in implementing, executing and monitoring IOM’s programmatic response that is consistent with IOM’s rules and regulations. In particular, he/she will:-
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to sites under the supervision of PM Officer and in coordination with other IOM units to verify protection and general protection are being mainstreamed across sectors;
- Support the field Protection team in referring and following up on protection cases;
- Participate in inter-agency for protection related for a, working groups, workshops, seminars and other meetings in close coordination with supervisors,
- Coordinate Field level activities with Protection Assistants,
- Prepare reports covering protection related activities, draft briefing etc,
- Disseminate information on services available to affected populations under the supervision of PM Officer and maintain list of services up to date;
- Organize training to IOM and implementing partners on protection, child protection, protection mainstreaming, protection risks, GBV and disaster risk reduction;
- Provide assistance to the Protection team during training on specific protection issues;
- Provide support in any field level interventions in terms of community sensitization on protection, focus group discussions with communities;
- Support sectors and Kebele / Woreda strengthening community structures and monitoring proper functioning of complaints/feedback mechanisms, in coordination with CBCM (Community Based Complain Mechanism);
- Collect, process and store protection data and share it regularly to the Line Manager;
- Adhere to the Standards of Conduct of IOM / PSEA;
- Perform other tasks that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- General Protection Case Management: Supporting communities through case management services to get access to basic services like, food, registration (if any), shelter, wash, NFIs, health and other issues. For a better coordination developing relationships with community and service provider both.
Community Based Protection: Sit in regular meetings, Woreda / Kebele Meetings (Protection Concern meetings), to know community concerns and address them in protection approach. Also, role out in sites / camps at household level and get engaged with people at different tea shops and other meeting places, do informal FGDs and find out protection concerns of the community.Also give orientation to Community leaders, Religious leaders if have, volunteers on Protection.
- Protection Monitoring: Do protection monitoring through Protection monitoring observation tool, FGD and KII. This activity helps to know about current protection concerns and trends within the community.
- Protection coordination: As Protection site Camp Focal Point, organize and facilitate Protection sector coordination meetings bi-weekly with all protection agencies / working units engaging within the sits / camp, finding out challenges and gaps and look for a meaningful solution through advocacy.
- Protection Mainstreaming: Organize and conduct sessions, workshops and trainings on Protection principles and other protection issues to the non-Protection actors like Site Management Service (SMS) and other service providers. These sessions, orientations and workshops helps to improve overall protection environment and approach of the actors to the beneficiaries.
- Integrated Approach with Site Management Supports (SMS): For field operation work closely with site management to address and response to protection issues and cases as most of the concerns comes directly to site management in the first place.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Law, Political or Social Sciences, or Social Work from an accredited academic institution.
- A minimum of 5 years-experience in the field of NGOs in migration, IDP and refugee assistance and protection (including specific experience on Protection)
- Will also be preferred experience in emergency operations and liaison with other UN and non-UN humanitarian actors.
- NGO/INGO experience is a plus.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Supervisor/ basic managerial skill
- Fluency in English and Oromiffa is required;
VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected], by October 18, 2019 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!