Pastoralist Welfare Organization Jobs in Ethiopia : Crop Science Officer
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Pastoralist Welfare Organization – PWO
- Location: Somali, Ethiopia
- State: Somali Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Ethiopia
Pastoralist Welfare Organization is an Ethiopian resident NGO working for the overall betterment of life of pastoral, agro pastoral communities. PWO has been mainly implementing its diversified livelihood promotion, sustainable development interventions and emergency supports in Somali region.
The Joint Resilience Building Project is a 3 year project which will be implemented as a consortium with by PWO and another partner NRC. The project mainly works through climate smart agriculture on established climate adaptive villages in Dolloado and Dollobay woredas of Afder and liben zones of Ethiopian Somali region.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The role of the crop science officer is to contribute in the planning and implementation of all measures related to irrigated agriculture development in the joint resilience building project. The post holder will support local small holder farmers on the ground through technical assistance..
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Work in collaboration with woreda agriculture office and other stakeholders on the implementation climate smart Agriculture intervention
- Identify the gaps and needs for better [planning of the implementation of resilience building interventions
- Search, develop and introduce new seeds and techniques for farming so that new and useful crops can be grown
- Take care of plant breeding for fast growth and increased yield of the crop
- Manage establishment of irrigation structures and develop water usage schedule
- Follow up and support individual farmers /Groups on day to day bases to measure timely and effective crop production
- Developing tools for training and capacity building of target farmers
- Assist t and lead farmers on selected agriculture techniques /practice relevant for climate smart agriculture and monitoring its implementation as model for follow farmers to take up and scaling out in other areas.
- Assist farmers on fodder production ,preservation implementation follow-up ,periodical filed monitoring and reporting of agricultural interventions
- Perform other duties assigned by the project coordinator.
Report to: Project Coordinator
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- BSc/BA Degree ,Diploma in Agriculture , plant/crop science, or and other related disciplines
- Knowledge of CAV establishment and climate smart agriculture
- At least 4 years of practical work experience in the field of irrigation agriculture (Senior Level)
- Computer skills (power point, Microsoft word, excel, etc)
- Proven skills in analytical/technical reporting writing, results based reporting, development of human interest stories, case studies, etc
- Previous experience in general agronomy and climate smart agriculture and CAV
- Good Experience in rural development particularly in diversified livelihood and participatory research approaches
- Proven result based achievements in his /her previous works.
Skills & abilities
- Good English language skills (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of local language (Somali) is Mandatory
- Willingness to reside in rural/marginal areas, ability to work with minimum supervision
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their non returnable CV, application letter and supportive credential within 10 days from the date of the vacancy announcement. Application should be sent to the following address: