Mental Health and Psychosocial Social Support Manager at Médecins Du Monde -France
- Company: Médecins Du Monde -France
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Jijiga - Somali Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
Currently, is implementing a program with sex workers (January 2019 – December 2021) in Afar region and Health and Nutrition 2-year project has been launched on 1 July 2019 to be implemented in Gerbo woreda of Nogob zone, Somali region.
In addition, following Covid19 epidemics in Ethiopia since March 16, MdM is supporting on the preparedness and response in the project areas plus in Addis Abeba.
The MHPSS Manager will be responsible for the implementation of Mental health and psychosocial support for people in Jigjiga Quarantine center.
Key activity areas will include:
- Promoting psychological wellbeing during quarantine
- Identify major stressors for women and children in the Quarantine and their Psychological Effects
- Capacity building for health workers in the quarantine related to psychological first aid and prevention and management of GBV.
- Provision of quality MHPSS services for women and children in the quarantine
- Mapping of referral services for GBV management and integration of preventive measures & identification of cases of GBV
- Identify need and participate on material development related to MHPSS
Hierarchical & Functional links
The MHPSS Manager will be based in Jigjiga, Somali region. S/he will be under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator based in Jigjiga.
And technical supervision of the Medical coordinator.
Promoting psychological wellbeing during quarantine specifically on
- Use of communication as an intervention
- Need of communication with loved ones
- Reduce boredom and isolation
- Keep quarantine as short as possible
Identify major stressors for women and children in the Quarantine and their Psychological Effects such as
- Frustration and boredom related to the isolation of quarantine
- Inadequate supplies (food, hygiene, liners) and access to regular medical care(chronic treatments or check-ups),
- Insufficient information regarding their medical and administrative situation, loss of family links
- Fears about becoming infected and/or infecting others
- Fear of stigmatization and rejection after quarantine
Capacity building interventions:
- Train and mentor staff in the quarantine on psychological first aid.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local government officials and partners in strengthening MHPSS interventions in the quarantine centre.
- Participate on material development – e.g. manual, IEC/BCC material.
Quality MHPSS service provision:
- Prepare an action plan for MHPSS service at the quarantine
- Follow and implement activities according to plan
- Provide individual counselling
- Provide technical support for staff in the quarantine on PFA implementation intervention
- Mapping of referral service
- Maintains confidentiality during service provision
Reporting and data recording
- Maintain record of case by documenting beneficiaries’ situation
- Prepare and share activity report with Program Coordinator and as per request when needed.
- Develop and summit monthly sitrep
- Strengthen data recording and documentation . and S/He will also be involved in any project related activities as requested by supervisors at the field office or the coordination.
Start Date: Immediately
Contract duration: 3 months
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Psychology
- At least 2 years professional experience on a similar position with an international NGO
- At list 3 years’ experience as clinical psychologist
- Excellent written and spoken English, Somali language is a plus
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office
- Understanding and adherence to humanitarian principles
- Excellent communication skills with sense of diplomacy
- Ability to classify and manage priorities
- High autonomous is required
- Organisational skills and Rigour
- Interest and ability to work in a team
- Able to work in difficult living conditions
Method of Application
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application letter including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees through [email protected] email. If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF by writing the job title on the subject line.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Closing Date : May 25, 2020