Action Against Hunger Jobs in Ethiopia : Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (Meal) Technical Advisor
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: ACTION AGAINST HUNGER
- Location: Addis Ababa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia - NGO Jobs in Ethiopia
- The MEAL technical advisor is responsible for effective planning and implementation of a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning system for the Action Against Hunger Ethiopia mission in line with Action Against Hunger’s M&E Minimum Standards and MEAL Strategy 2020. S/he will provide technical support to needs assessments, baseline/endline studies, post-distribution monitoring and other routine monitoring and surveys. S/he will oversee the mission’s accountability and feedback mechanisms, ensuring sensitisation of Action Against Hunger staff and communities as well as timely follow-up on all feedback. S/he will supervise program knowledge management of the mission.
Objective 1: Strengthen the MEAL system of the mission including human resources, tools, and knowledge management
- Lead the development of MEAL country strategy, structure, staffing and financing
- Help coordination missions to better define the follow-up of country strategies based on SMART indicators and targets on mission’s strategy defined by the coordination under the validation of ADRO/DRO
- Provide analysis about MEAL performance at country or project levels
- Ensure M&E systems are developed to guide project start-up, implementation, adjustment, accountability and learning in compliance with AAH’s M&E Guidelines and Minimum Requirements for M&E.
- Stocktaking of existing data collection and monitoring tools in the mission
- In collaboration with Technical Advisors (WASH, FSL, NUT-HEALTH, MHCP), the Senior M&E Technical Advisor in HQ and the DCD propose possible improvements and/or streamlining of tools
- Support the recruitment, capacity building (formal and on-the-job training), and management of qualified staff to carry out regular MEAL functions
- Organise in collaboration with Field Coordinators regular workshops for programme staff on principles of MEAL and other relevant topics
- Supervise and provide technical support to MEAL staffs’ development of systems and tools, including promoting and rolling out new technologies relevant to MEAL
- Ensure harmonised application of tools, methods, and informed consent procedures across all bases
- Ensure SADD data is collected
- In close collaboration with Field Coordinators, PMs, Technical Advisors and MEAL staff, ensure that field teams develop centralized project databases with appropriate levels of data protection, storage and management.
- In collaboration with Field Coordinators, Technical Advisors and Deputy Country Director, represent AAH externally in relevant forums and working groups at national level on issues related to monitoring, evaluation and accountability (consortia, alliances and clusters).Objective 2: Ensure proper and timely implementation of MEAL activities, including program monitoring, reporting, and accountability mechanisms
- In close collaboration with Field Coordinators, follow up on MEAL staff time-frames and budgets are respected as per MEAL Plan
Actively participate in the development of project logical frameworks to ensure objectives are clearly constructed and indicators are SMART and respond to process, outputs, and outcome
Support the inclusion of MEAL activities in new project proposals and their implementation at country level, in collaboration with the senior management country team
- Reinforce systems and tools for MEAL, developing new tools as necessary; ensure appropriate process-, output-, and outcome level monitoring is carried out across all programme sectors using effective qualitative and quantitative methods
- Establish and monitor systems for accountability, including community and other stakeholder feedback and participation across programmes
- Support the development of Terms of Reference (TORs) for external evaluations
- At field level, work with MEAL Officers, Programme Managers, and Field Coordinators to ensure MEAL findings are incorporated into both qualitative and quantitative Activity Progress Report (APR).
- Ensure that Activity Progress Reports (APR) are submitted on time to Addis office, centralise the APR and ensure they are on the serverObjective 3: Ensure quality and efficiency of data collected through the mission’s MEAL teams
Manage Open Data Kit (ODK) / Kobo platform for the mission; lead on roll-out of mobile data collection within the mission, to include training, troubleshooting, and support for ODK / Kobo use in the field.
- Support survey process and quality review of data from surveys (KAP, SMART, SQUEAC, NCA, PVCA, baseline – endline), Post-Distribution Monitoring and mapping exercise as needed.
- Facilitate the analysis by producing visual summaries (maps, graphs) upon request of the coordination team
Ensure rigorous application of procedures based on sampling methodology
Supervise field staff to ensure rigorous training for internal and external enumerators incorporating AAH mandate, key project information, and application of ethical and rigorous data collection procedures
- Support on strategy development for expanding ICT opportunities in the mission (new technological innovations and their application to Ethiopia context/AAH projects, GIS and spatial analysis capacity, and other technical platforms).
Support humanitarian context surveillance system and ensure coherence of AC system with external system (government, cluster, etc.)
Objective 4: Capitalisation / Knowledge management
- Facilitate knowledge building and learning process to ensure previous recommendations and lessons learnt from evaluations and other data (including monitoring data) are incorporated in new proposal design, decision-making and activity planning
- Organise and coordinate mid-term reviews, and review of program work plans with nutrition, WASH and FSL team at field level and other stakeholders.
- Facilitate lessons learned meeting at different stages of the project cycle management (kick-off, during implementation, close-out) and share findings to relevant stakeholders
- Ensure that lessons learned and recommendations in planning, monitoring, evaluation and accountability are documented, shared and considered / addressed in the design of new projects and technical plans and discussed during periodic program reviews and ultimately fed into current work and future program development.
- Advise on the inclusion of MEAL resources and activities in new project proposals
- Support the quality, timeliness and dissemination of M&E outputs internally and externally
- Provide quarterly feedback to senior management team on standard indicators for nutrition, WASH and FSL while comparing information over time and between sectors.
- Additional responsibilities
- Ensure gender mainstreaming in the MEAL department
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and is responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
- Reporting responsibilities
- Monthly activity progress reports
- Weekly/monthly contribution to mission SITREP
- Support to donor reporting and proposal development
- Annual Beneficiary count and progress report
- Ad-hoc reports (assessments and surveys)
- Compilation of APR (quarterly, annually)
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of: none returnable CV, Covering Letter with “Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Technical Advisor” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants to the following addresses:
Action Against Hunger – Addis Ababa – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 2357, (On the way to Meskel Flower from Dembel city mall, Behind Addis Ababa Road Transportation Authority Garage ): or
Directly In Person to Action Against Hunger, Gode, Sekota, Gambella, Mega, and Hirna offices ;
Deadline: Friday, 07 January 2019 before 5:00 pm
“Women Applicants Are Highly Encouraged”
NB: Only short listed applicants will be communicated On and selection process includes technical test and an interview.