IPC Nurse at Médecins Du Monde -France
- Company: Médecins Du Monde -France
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Afar Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Ethiopia
Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
Currently, is implementing a program with sex workers (January 2019 – December 2021) in Afar region and Health and Nutrition 2-year project has been launched on 1 July 2019 to be implemented in Gerbo woreda of Nogob zone, Somali region.
In addition, following Covid19 epidemics in Ethiopia since March 16, MdM is supporting the local authorities on the prevention and response in the project areas plus in Addis Abeba.
2. Essential Duties
The IPC nurse will be responsible for ensuring IPC practices in the project area
Key activity areas will include:
- Support on improving IPC practices during screening, triage and isolation at quarantine and HC’s of the project area.
- Identify and assist on ensuring all necessary materials to implement standard IPC practices are in place, follow up in the correct use of PPE materials as per WHO/MoH recommendations on the rational use of them.
- Support on ensuring standard hygiene, sanitation and waste management practices in collaboration with logistics.
- Capacity building of health workers, MdM staff and staff working in the quarantine to implement IPC practices up to the standard, this will be done through formal training and on job supervision.
- Reporting on the findings of the supervisions and trainings.
3. Hierarchical & Functional links
The IPC nurse will be based in Semera, Afar region. S/he will be under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator based in Semera.
And technical supervision of the Medical coordinator based in Addis Ababa.
Support on improving IPC practices during screening, triage and isolation at PoE, quarantine and HC’s of the project area.
- Adopt/adapt COVID-19 guidelines and SOPs in the project areas and support facilities to implement protocols.
- Ensure availability of updated screening and triaging protocols and checklists at facility access points for early recognition of COVID-19 cases.
- Establish a well-equipped station at the PoE, triage of HC’s and quarantine centre
- Post signs in public areas reminding symptomatic patients to alert HCWs.
- Promote social distance, hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene as preventive measures.
- Support MdM and RHB to apply universal standard precautions
Identify and assist on ensuring all necessary materials to implement standard IPC practices are in place.
- Conduct material need assessment to ensure IPC practice at the PoE and quarantine site
- Forecast, order and follow up on purchase of IPC materials
- Assist on organization and structuring of IPC materials placement at PoE and quarantine
- Ensure the adequate use of the IPC materials as per Who/MoH recommendations for rational use.
- Support on ensuring standard hygiene, sanitation and waste management practices
- Together with logistic officer identify gaps on hygiene, sanitation and waste management practices at PoE, quarantine and HCs.
- Assist on placement of materials and standard practice of hygiene, sanitation and waste management practices at PoE, quarantine and HCs.
- Support POEs, Quarantine sites and health facilities in developing rapid improvement plan to effectively implement and sustain IPC practice for COVID-19 in line with established standards
Capacity building interventions:
- Train and mentor staff in the quarantine, PoE and HC’s on IPC protocols for COVID-19 in line with established standards.
- Train and mentor MdM staff on applying standard precautions for COVID-19.
- Adopt and disseminate Job-Aids related to COVID-19 IPC guidance for care providers
- Develop and maintain relationships with local government officials and partners on improving IPC practices
- Participate on material development – eg: SOP , manual, IEC/BCC material.
Reporting and data recording
- Prepare and share weekly activity report with Program Coordinator.
- Compile and share monthly report for M&E officer and Progco.
- Support data recording and documentation.
- Support regular monitoring of IPC compliance at facility access points and isolation units
- And, S/He will also be involved in any project related activities as requested by supervisors at the field office or the coordination.
Contract duration: 3 months
- Education: Bachelor’s degree on nursing
- Trained and certified on IPC
- At least 2 years professional experience on a similar position with an international NGO
- At list 3 years’ experience as clinical nurse
- Excellent written and spoken English language and Afar language will be a plus
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office
- Understanding and adherence to humanitarian principles
- Excellent communication skills with sense of diplomacy
- Ability to classify and manage priorities
- High autonomous is required
- Organisational skills and Rigour
- Interest and ability to work in a team
- Able to work in difficult living conditions
Method of Application
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application letter including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees through [email protected] email. If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF by writing the job title on the subject line.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Closing Date : June 18, 2020