Internship Opportunity for Empower Youth for Work Project at Oxfam Great Britain
- Company: Oxfam Great Britain
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Internship
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
Oxfam is a global movement of people who won’t live with the injustice of poverty. Together we save and rebuild lives in disasters. We help people build better lives for themselves. We speak out on the big issues that keep people poor, like inequality, discrimination against women and climate change. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can live without poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW (for programs)
Oxfam has been implementing the Empower Youth for Work (EYW) project in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Pakistan and Ethiopia for securing a better future of 176,000 young people since July 2016. The project wants to secure better economic prospects through access to better training that enables the youth to take advantage of these opportunities, including ‘soft’ as well as technical and vocational skills and enabling the social environment. As part of this multicounty project, Oxfam in Ethiopia has been implementing the EYW project in Oromia and Somali regions with an overall objective of poverty reduction, youth empowerment and gender equality for young women and men living in rural and semi-urban climate-change affected areas.
OBJECTIVE OF THE INTERNSHIP
The objective of this internship is to hire communication and influencing interns who will be part of the Empower Youth York project team to support the implementation of the project particularly communication and influencing activities.
The communication and the influencing intern will be responsible for:
- Assigned EYW project’s communication, influencing, advocacy and media activities
- Working directly with Oxfam and implementing partners (RCWDO and HAVOYOCO) project team in Addis Ababa, Somali and Oromia regions
- Provide support and/ facilitate influencing, campaign and advocacy activities/events of the project
- Assist in and / prepare design, edit and facilitate printing out of reports, stories, publications, IEC materials, and other communication materials
- Participate in case study collections and use them for media use
- Work on the partners and Oxfam’s social media platforms
- Posting information, uploading photos and videos on the platforms as is directed by project communication and influencing officer, Oxfam influencing coordinator and global project team
- Provide support to partners’ communication and gender officers and create Networking between partners
- Assist in the planning and strategy development and implementation of project activities
- Assistance in the field level implementation of the project
- Provide support or produce High-quality photographs, videos and project updates
- Provide support in translating documents from or to English, Amharic, Afaan Oromo, and Somali languages.
- Successfully organized field visits, events, review meetings, workshops and training sessions
- Action plan prepared for influencing, campaign and advocacy activities/events of the project
- Prepared design, report, stories, IEC and other publications
- Captured videos and photographs
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Degree from a recognized University or College in Journalism and Communications, Foreign Languages and Literature, Sociology or any other areas that can bring added value to the post.
- Fresh graduates with no experience. Master’s degree holders who have the interest to work as an intern could also apply
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Good computer skills especially in the use of publishing tools
- Multi-tasking skills
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- A person of integrity
- Creative and takes initiative
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- Experience working in policy advocacy, campaigns and digital actions
- Experience/participation in a social movement and campaign platform
- Content production/Photography skills
What can this role offer the Intern?
An opportunity to gain skills and experience in:
- information gathering and dissemination
- developing and effective usage of diverse communication channels by the internal and external audience
- Researching, compiling and analyzing information
- Influencing, advocacy, mass communication, and campaign
- Planning and organizing profile-raising opportunities including media opportunities and events
- Working in a team and being supported by your manager
- Given stipend to cover lunch and transportation
- Working towards Oxfam‟s goal of overcoming poverty and suffering.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work
- Commitment to undertake Oxfam’s safeguarding training and adherence of relevant policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences
Note to candidates: Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organizational values and attributes at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our code of conduct. We encourage candidates to read and understand our code of conduct here.
Method of Application
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile through https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/ on or before 15th October 2019.
Your application will be shortlisted based on your CV. You need not comment on your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
"Women Highly Encouraged to Apply"