Internship Opportunity at Department for International Development – DFID
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Department For International Development – DFID
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Internship
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
The UK Department for International Development (DFID) is offering two internships opportunities for fresh university graduates to join DFID Ethiopia, based in the British Embassy, Addis Ababa.
DFID leads the UK’s work to end extreme poverty. We are tackling the global challenges of our time including poverty and disease, mass migration, insecurity and conflict. Our work is building a safer, healthier and more prosperous world for people in developing countries and in the UK too.
Why we are launching an internship programme?
The purpose of the internship positions is to support young people with the potential to make a lasting contribution to Ethiopia’s development. The placement will focus on developing knowledge and experience in specific parts of our portfolio with the aim of contributing these skills to the broader development sector upon completion of the placement. We are launching an internship programme because
- We want to lead by example: Lack of work experience is among the challenges young graduates face as they enter the workforce. By offering internships – which are critical paths to bridge this transition – DFID Ethiopia hopes to play an exemplary role to other organisations in the sector. We plan to lead by example in communicating the importance of corporate social responsibility in contributing to youth skills and employability.
- We want to give space for development and aim to equip entry-level work force with proper competency skills. DFID Ethiopia offers a chance of working in a diversified and dynamic context and aims to embed work-relevant skills, information and experience by opening up opportunities to support teams within and cross office activities.
- We want our work to benefit from young people’s insights and we want to infuse our office with insights, energy, out of the box thinking of Ethiopian youth as we strive to make our programmes more effective and relevant to youth.
We are looking for two interns that will support the DFID Ethiopia team in delivering development activities across an exciting and diverse portfolio, with a focus on the following:
Position 1: The successful candidate will be based in the Operational Excellence Team focusing on the team’s delivery of DFID Ethiopia’s strategic objective and programme. This includes support to the Head of Office, engagement in key compliance areas such as portfolio and programme risk management. The candidate will also work with teams to identify and coordinate events including internal lesson learning sessions and will be engaged in diversified set of tasks including analysis, financial management, and logistics.
Position 2: The successful candidate will be based in the Human Development Team, focusing on supporting the implementation of the cross HMG demographic transition strategy, which prioritises empowerment of women and girls, improving equity, quality and access to health care services, and ensuring skills match the demands of the job market. The candidate is expected to bring youth and adolescent lenses in our future programming and policy priorities in the health sector and will be engaged in diversified set of tasks including analysis, financial management, logistics and programme management.
This position would require a commitment of six (6). Months; the internship does not guarantee any future employment with DFID
- DFID Ethiopia will provide a modest monthly stipend for successful interns to help cover expenses during the internship period.
The opportunity is available to fresh graduates of 2019, holding a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Sciences, and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00. The successful intern must have formal or informal competency skills in:
- Delivering results – accepting responsibility for the quality and accuracy of your work; ability to prioritise; good time management; show initiative and handle a variety of tasks.
- Working with others – work effectively and supportively in a team; build productive working relationships with team members and work with a diverse range of people
- Learning & development – open and flexible approach to new ideas, drawing on them and on experience to improve results; enthusiastic about personal development
This can be demonstrated through work, ‘
Expected learning outcomes
Upon completion of the internship, the trainee is expected to have developed professional skills that they can use in the wide variety of fields in their future career, particularly in sustainable development, gaining a better understanding of working in an international environment. The position also offers the opportunity to increase skills in communication, participating in various activities and working with others. The internship will also provide structured on the job learning dependent on individual experience and interests.
How to Apply
The candidate must submit a one pager cover letter, indicating the position that is being applied for, and outline their interest in the internship programme. Candidate must also justify how they are suitable for the position, and send it to the [email protected] with a copy of their most recent CV. The CV must indicate the candidate’s cumulative GPA of 3.00. Please quote the following line when applying, “ETH1903 - Internship Opportunity- Ethiopia”. Failure to do so may result in your application not being viewed.
Applicants born and raised in regions outside Addis Ababa are highly encouraged to apply.
Closing date of applications is midnight on October 06, 2019. Applications shown as being received after the deadline will not be accepted
Please ensure that any e-mail attachments do not exceed 3 MB. Only candidates shortlisted for the interview will be contacted, and will be required to bring original certificates together with a photo ID for verification.
If you have not received a response within 3 weeks after the deadline please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Assessment Centre and start date
Assessment Centre will be held in Mid-November 2019. Only those candidates who are successful in the initial sift of applications will be invited for an interview in the DFID Office based in British Embassy. The planned start date for this internship programme is beginning of January, 2020.
DFID is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation. All applications are treated on merit alone.
No payments should be requested or offered at any part of the recruitment process – any irregularities should be reported by email to [email protected]