International Livestock Research Institute Jobs in Ethiopia : Technical Assistant
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: International Livestock Research Institute – ILRI
- Location: Addis Ababa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Social Science/Community
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) seeks to recruit a Technical Assistant who can technically train and perform day to day business on agricultural machinery at station/field/farm for demos and scaling/promotion and who be a member of CIMMYT Ethiopia located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Addis Ababa campus.
General: The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is an autonomous, non-profit making, international scientific organization operating under the aegis of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). More specifically its mission is to encourage, support and undertake activities to improve the productivity, profitability and sustainability of maize and wheat systems in the interest of the resource poor in developing countries.
Main duties & responsibilities:
· Operate or tend equipment used in agricultural production, such as tractors, direct seeders, sprayers, trailers, water pumps, threshers/shellers, rotavators and others implements and technologies;
· Walk beside or ride on planting machines while inserting plants in planter mechanisms at specified intervals and inter-row spacing;
· Adjust, repair, and service farm machinery and notify supervisors when machinery malfunctions;
· Irrigate soil, using portable pipes or ditch systems, and maintain ditches or pipes and pumps;
· Plant, protect and feed, irrigate crops (maize, wheat, teff and other CGs crops) with 2WT/4WT based small scale mechanization technologies under supervision of the scientist;
· Spray fertilizer or pesticide solutions to control insects, fungus and weed growth, and diseases, using hand sprayers;
· Weigh crop-filled containers, and record weights and other identifying information;
· Attach/dis attach farm implements such as direct seeders, rotavator, planters, plows, discs, sprayers, trailer, thresher/sheller, water pump or reaper harvesters to tractors, using bolts and hand tools;
· Mix specified materials or chemicals, and dump solutions, powders, or seeds into planter or sprayer machinery;
· Observe and listen to machinery operation to detect equipment malfunctions;
· Demonstrate machines/equipment and can train other people.
- High School Complete/Preparatory Certificate level 1 plus technical training
· At least two years of relevant experience
· Knowledge of techniques and machinery/equipment for planting, growing, harvesting and post-harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques;
· Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
· Watching indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
· Conducting tests and inspections of implements, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
· Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
· Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position level: 1C.
Minimum Base salary: Birr 8,409 per month (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the selected candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is (fixed term) for two years with the possibility of renewal appointment, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: TA/36/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letters. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 8 November 2018.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.