International Livestock Research Institute Jobs in Ethiopia : Research Associate
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Location: Addis Ababa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate who will contribute to ongoing research projects which focus on identifying the conditions that enable and constrain East African livestock producers in adopting climate smart agriculture practices. The diverse research team aims to identify livestock keepers’ climate change adaptation strategies, adaptation tracking methodologies, specific baseline estimates of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from livestock production, effects of livestock systems on water quality and water quantity and identify promising climate smart livestock practices and who will be a member of the Sustainable Livestock Systems (SLS) Program.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
The Research Associate will directly contribute to ongoing work – particularly survey work and farm assessments in Ethiopia – contributing to Sustainable Livestock Systems Program (SLS)’s overall objective of investigating the environmental footprint of livestock systems and promising pathways toward climate smart livestock production. A special focus is hereby given to adaptation strategies as well as the quantification of GHG emissions from livestock, manure and soils in relation to farm productivity. The candidate will contribute to this by undertaking the following activities:
· Organize and support field surveys in smallholder farming systems in Ethiopia;
· Collect biological samples (live weight, urine, manure) from livestock as well as feed and soil samples from farming systems under the guidance of senior project staff;
· Assist in the implementation of participatory field experiments;
· Assist with data input and processing (data organization, data entry);
· Maintain relationships with different stakeholders including farmers and farmer groups, suppliers and ILRI ancillary staff, in order to facilitate the efficient prosecution of the observations;
· Assisting PhD and MSc students;
· Other duties as deemed consistent with the position by supervisors.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- BSc degree or MSc degree with distinction in Applied Sciences from a recognized university
· BSc degree plus 5 years or Masters’ degree plus 2 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated ability at working with livestock keepers in data collection, as well as implementation of participatory field trials.
- Demonstrated experience and ability in participation and contributing applied research trials involving ruminants.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively and collegially with other technical and scientific staff and students.
- Demonstrated experience and ability in handling and moving livestock (ie on a farm) is beneficial.
- Experience in developing data collection protocols, data collection and quality control and quality assurance is key.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Monthly Base Salary:
· Birr 24,572 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
How to Apply
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RA/39/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 21 November 2018.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.