GBV Prevention Officer at Danish Refugee Council (DRC
- Company: Danish Refugee Council (DRC
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Dolo Ado
- Job type: Contract
- Job category: Danish Refugee Council Jobs in Ethiopia - NGO Jobs in Ethiopia - Social Science/Community
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
As DRC expands its protection programming in Dollo Ado to include GBV prevention and response services, a dedicated GBV Prevention Officer will ensure the start-up and implementation of GBV prevention services. The postholder will support the GBV Manager and wider GBV team to ensure a strong understanding of the GBV context, to develop and rollout relevant materials and tools for GBV prevention services, and lead on the day-to-day implementation of GBV prevention services. GBV prevention services will include community mobilization, awareness raising, and information dissemination, as well as capacity strengthening on GBV core concepts and GBV mainstreaming to a range of stakeholders, including DRC and other humanitarian staff, local authorities, community leaders and community structures. The GBV Prevention Officer also will support the GBV Manager on key project management tasks, from procurement and work planning to reporting. The GBV Prevention Officer will guarantee strong collaboration and coordination within DRC and among other humanitarian providers. The GBV Prevention Officer will supervise directly at least one assistant.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Lead on the implementation of GBV prevention activities per project(s) documents/donor agreements and ensure adherence to contractual commitments in line with Humanitarian, Protection, and GBV Guiding Principles and other international standards and best practices
- Ensure adherence to work, spending, procurement, and monitoring and evaluation plans for relevant activities; when necessary, support the GBV Manager to develop or amend aforementioned plans
- Create weekly work plans in coordination with other multi-sector staff to leverage integration and resources
- Provide weekly, monthly, and quarterly project management updates, as requested
- Liaise regularly with Monitoring & Evaluation, Supply Chain, Finance, and other relevant colleagues to ensure the timely implementation of GBV prevention activities
Technical Implementation and Support
- Identify and monitor context-specific GBV risks and concerns through regular engagement with key stakeholders using focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and other means of information gathering
- Engage community members and community-based structures in the design and roll out of GBV prevention activities, including awareness-raising sessions, information dissemination, community dialogues, and outreach campaigns
- Develop information, education, and communication materials to minimize GBV risks
- Develop and facilitate trainings, workshops, and refresher sessions on key GBV prevention topics for DRC and other humanitarian staff, local authorities, community leaders, and other stakeholders in coordination with the GBV Manager and Protection Manager, Ethiopia
- Promote improved understanding of core GBV concepts and GBV mainstreaming among relevant stakeholders
- Work closely with the DRC GBV Response team, Protection team, and other relevant stakeholders to ensure a coordinated and strategic approach to GBV prevention.
- Liaise with Monitoring and Evaluation colleagues to measure the impact of GBV prevention activities and adapt, as necessary
- Lead on the management of direct reports, at least one employee, including objective setting, probation, performance management and appraisal, professional skill development, accountability, and support
- Promote continual professional development through the identification of training and capacity-building opportunities, as well as on-the-job coaching and mentoring
Reporting and Accountability
- Lead on the regular collection, storage, updating of information management systems, and analysis of activity data in adherence with Protection Information Management Principles
- Provide timely qualitative and quantitative inputs for internal updates, as well as contractual and ad hoc donor requests
- Coordinate with MEAL colleagues to ensure appropriate feedback mechanisms are in place and accessible to all community members
- Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements, as well as DRC policies and procedures
- Participate in internal and external coordination meetings, as relevant and in coordination with the GBV Manager
- Contribute regularly to service mappings and other coordination documents (e.g., 3/4/5Ws)
- Other duties relevant to the position as assigned by the direct supervisor or Protection Manager, Ethiopia
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. psychology, social work, social or gender studies)
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience in a humanitarian organization, ideally in GBV prevention and/or response services
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English
- Experience with emergency response, displacement, and conflict and/or drought-affected populations
- Strong knowledge of humanitarian, protection, and GBV principles and standards, as well as organizational policies
- Strong protection analysis and reporting skills
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with people management and creation of a collaborative working environment
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Commitment to accountability and quality programming
- Ability to work well under pressure in adverse, insecure and/or remote conditions with diverse multi-sector staff
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- University degree in gender studies, social sciences, law, social work, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Somali Language have an advantage.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 6 April. 2023