Field Security Assistant at International Organzation for Migration – IOM
- Company: International Organzation for Migration – IOM
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: shire - Tigray Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Security Jobs in Ethiopia - Social Science/Community
Vacancy No. IOM-SVN/0113/2021
Position Title: Field Security Assistant
Duty Station: Shire, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission Addis Ababa and direct supervision of the Field Crisis coordinator in Tigray and in collaboration with the Field Security Officer in Addis Ababa, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for Security coordination issues under the sub-office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the FSO, implement Safety and Security plans, by remaining conversant with all procedures and policies of UNDSS and IOM security management system and advising the FSO on safety and security issues in the assigned field.
- Liaising with UNDSS and other security stakeholders, to maintain appropriate lines of communications for all aspects of staff safety and security.
- Undertake the maintaining of radio communication capabilities to UNDSS, IOM if applicable, and to other IOM sub-offices.
- Monitor and track all staff travels with the existing tracking and travel procedures.
- Ensure all relevant security information is immediately disseminated in a timely manner to the relevant IOM staff and the FSO.
- Undertake physical security surveys of offices, vehicles, projects sites, and staff residences to verify compliance to Security Risk Management Area(s) and Residential Security Measures.
- Undertake an active role in the development and implementation of evacuation/emergency security plans in coordination with the FSO and in coordination with the HSO/FSO undertakes medical evacuations when required.
- Provides updated security information to all IOM staff and a detailed security briefing to all staff and new staff members, implementing partner Agencies entering or re-entering the mission.
- In coordination with the FSO, follow up on staff members’ compliance with existing Safety and Security protocols including completion of the mandatory security training and obtaining security clearances as required.
- Investigate and reports security breaches/incidents within the area of responsibility, work closely with the Government police in efforts to ensure IOM staff, its assets, and interests are protected while ensuring strict confidentiality.
- Respond to security queries and suggests an appropriate course of action in coordination with the FSO.
- Efficiently monitor the local security and political situation and report significant events/incidents to the HSO/FSO/.
- Assist in monitoring the contracted guards in the performance of services, including fire control, first aid procedures, use of equipment, and operation of the automated alarm and video surveillance systems if installed. Where training in fire control and first aid is found to be deficient coordinates with the contractor to ensure such training is undertaken.
- Daily do round checks within IOM offices to engaged security providers (contracted guards/Police) compliance with Security requirements and liaise with relevant management officials to ensure security maintenance and requirements for the offices are met.
- Maintain an orderly filing system for all security files as well as maintaining an updated level of communication documentation and files.
- Report any discrepancies or breaches in the first instance to the FSO.
- Undertake quarterly road/political/border areas assessments and brief the FSO.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the FSO.
- University degree in Peace and Security, Political Science, or a related social science field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification in the field of peace and security field will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in developing security plans, conducting incident investigations and reporting is a must.
- Experience with International Organizations & NGOs is highly desirable.
- Good political, cultural, and social knowledge of the country.
- Computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is required
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with others with diverse professional backgrounds is required.
- Capability to handle a heavy workload efficiently with minimal supervision and understanding the importance of close teamwork.
- Dedication to one’s duty is paramount and flexibility and commitment to these duties in an emergency will be expected.
- Training in emergency and disaster response is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English is required
- Working knowledge of the duty station Local Language is desirable.
Values and Competencies
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respect and promote individual and cultural differences; encourage diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and a work permit, as applicable.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application to [email protected]
Use the title of the position, Vacancy number and the duty station as the subject of the email
Closing Date : 29 September. 2021