Electoral Expert at Forum of Federations
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Forum of Federations
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Civil Servant Jobs in Ethiopia
The European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES) is a non-profit private foundation headquartered in Brussels a global remit. ECES promotes sustainable democratic development through the provision of advisory services and operational support in favour of all electoral stakeholders, including electoral management bodies, civil society organizations dealing with civic & voter education and election observation, political parties and parliaments dealing with electoral reforms, media, security forces and legal institutions dealing to electoral dispute resolutions.
Since February 2012, ECES has signed over 70 contracts in support of transparent, credible and cost-effective electoral processes and the strengthening of democratic institutions in more than 35 countries mainly, but not only, in Africa and Middle East. In addition to that, the founders and personnel of ECES have acquired extensive field experience and, taken together, ECES can count on a specific knowledge and a well-established network in over 70 countries around the world. The EU is by far the largest ECES’ donor, however the organisation has also signed contracts and partnered with many other organisations.
The EU in Ethiopia is funding a long-term support strategy within the framework of democratic development and support to good governance. Actions in support of democratisation and respect for human rights, including the right to participate in the establishment of governments through free and fair elections, can make a major contribution to peace, security and the prevention of conflicts. The project will be implemented along the lines of a specific and copyrighted approach developed by ECES entitled the European Response on Electoral Cycle Support (EURECS) – which is also the title of the first project. This project is fully funded by the EU through the European Development Fund (EDF).
The EURECS project, fully funded by the European Development Fund (EDF), seeks to strengthen the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) in order to raise the profile of an independent, credible and effective institution that will deliver inclusive and democratic electoral processes in Ethiopia. The action seeks to contribute to enhance the transparency, credibility and public confidence in the NEBE, as well as in the electoral process recognizing the high expectations on the 2020 elections as the starting point for a paradigm shift in the conduct of elections in the country.
The action of the EURECS in Ethiopia is built around the three main result areas as follows:
- NEBE’s leadership and strategic management capacity is improved and it’s perceived by the citizens as an independent institution;
- NEBE’s core institutional capacities are reinforced and it is able to conduct a credible electoral process;
- The Liaison between NEBE and external groups are strengthened and the electoral process is more inclusive.
The project is implemented by the European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES) in partnership with Ethiopia-based Forum of Federations and GoInnonvation. The activities of the EURECS activities will start and end within 36-month time-frame (October 2019 – September 2022) in view to leave behind durable tools and capacities for long-term sustainability in the country of Ethiopia.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Under the guidance of ECES Country Representative, Project Coordinator and International Senior Electoral Expert, the national Electoral Expert will have the following specific responsibilities and will provide the following deliverables:
- Provide expertise in supporting the project and the beneficiary institution with the electoral procedures, ensuring they are inclusive and reflect good international practices and human rights;
- Contribute to the assessment and identification of the beneficiary institution’s electoral assistance needs;
- Provide expertise in assisting the beneficiary institution in producing and developing existing policies and operational procedures;
- Assist the beneficiary institution with the promotion and reinforcing of good electoral practices and principles throughout the election cycle;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of electoral assistance activities;
- Produce electoral reports, guides, manuals and procedures as needed and requested by the ECES Country Representative, Project Coordinator and Senior Electoral Expert;
- Implement all other working tasks deemed necessary by ECES Country Representative Project Coordinator and Senior Electoral Expert.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of ECES;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ECES’ values and ethical standards.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, development studies, human rights, law or any related field.
- At least six (6) years of relevant work experience in election support;
- Previous experiences in electoral assistance position within public institution, not for profit organisations and/or international organisations;
- Deep knowledge of the social and political context of Ethiopia is a must;
- Knowledge of the electoral cycle;
- Experience in developing electoral documents (manuals, procedures, etc.);
- Experience in preparing reports and analysis documents;
- Experience in planning and management;
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office applications is a must;
- Good interpersonal skills and result orientation;
- Ability to work in a multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to perform effectively under high pressure and hardship conditions
- Excellent working level of English and Amharic languages, in both writing and speaking.
- Knowledge of other Ethiopian languages is considered as an asset.