Education Officer at International Rescue Committee – IRC
- Company: International Rescue Committee – IRC
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: shire - Tigray Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Ethiopia - Social Science/Community
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over eight decades in the world addressing both the immediate, lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships, and thorough accountability to those we serve.
With the direct supervision of the Education Officer, the Education Program Assistant is responsible for the day to day implementation of Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) of Shire IDP sites, Accelerated School Readiness (ASR) for the local community, Play & Sport and Assessment for Learning (AFL) and school based WASH programs; monitoring and technical support to ECCD facilitators in the camp; trained teachers for ASR, selected local primary schools for Play & Sport and AFL and school based WASH programs.
· Assist in mapping of existing teaching and learning materials being used in the IDP sites and host community schools against a framework to identify areas of integration, adaptation, and development of content.
· Support the development/adaptation of training content for teachers in IDP and host communities through participatory and consultative process involving local teacher education colleges and other education stakeholders.
· Represents the IRC in relevant meetings, seminars and workshops with other humanitarian organizations and local authorities particularly in EiE
· Establishes/maintains good relationships with the other implementing representatives in the field and volunteers to ensure program activities effectively.
· Contributes to the capacity building activities through training and coaching (e.g., data collection, baseline assessment).
· Liaises with the support Departments (Logistics and Finance) for all matters related to the job and performs administrative tasks according to internal procedures working advances and others) in a timely manner.
· Collects data using standard data-collection tools and devices, performs basic qualitative and quantitative data analysis, interprets basic quantitative and qualitative data analysis, and describes results and produces data on overall teaching learning process.
· Identifies lessons learnt and good practices and ensures they are consistently applied to the programs.
· Integrates best practice in terms of accountability to beneficiaries throughout the program-cycle design.
· Contributes to organizing and delivering capacity-building activities.
· Develop training modules, schedule training frame, and provide trainings to facilitators, team leaders, and parent- teachers association.
· Prepare incentive staff monthly payroll, and payment sheet.
· Participates in planning, implementation, and monitoring activities.
· Based on behavioral insights mapping and human centered design research, assist to identify prototypes of content and delivery of content for teachers, parents, and children.
· Assure that relevant cross cutting themes (child protection, gender, inclusion, safety, and life skills) are integrated into the education in emergency project implementation at the project sites.
· Prepare and send the weekly and monthly updates of the project to education in emergency coordinator.
· Organize regular discussion session with beneficiaries to collect feedback on the project implementation.
· Facilitate a joint monitoring visit with key partners and organize post supervision discussion session discuss on areas of improvement and share best experiences.
· ensure proper data record, keeping and reporting system are in place in targeted schools.
· facilitate the implementation of training in collaboration with DEO and organize post training assessment and feedback session.
· work with target schools to ensure the participation of community to ensure access and quality.
· Strengthen networking with organizations or agencies working on education in emergencies and child protection in ensuring child-friendly learning centers at the woreda.
· Ensure high quality activity management and maximize safety and wellbeing of all inhabitants, especially children.
· Ensure effective collaboration and support of procurement, logistics, water, sanitation, health, security, and education is ready duly and supervise and coordinate Education component in host community area.
· Engage with field level coordination leads, implementing partners, teachers, parents, and children through structured co-creation processes.
· Support the delivery of trainings to preschool and primary school teachers in collaboration with teacher education colleges and education staff using a cascade model.
· Provide direct technical support to ASR & ALP facilitators, teachers, and the school support system (head teachers and supervisors)
· Assist in adaptation of content and key Learning through play messages targeting parent/caregivers and dissemination strategy to reach wider audiences.
· Assist to establish a framework for Learning through play competencies and quality Learning through play standards.
· Support in the development of samples and templates of content for teachers, parents, and children on Learning through play.
· Update key messages and communications materials on play-based learning to reflect the Ethiopian context targeting refugees and host communities.
· Support and oversee the implementation of Learning through play activities in refugee and host community schools and facilitate exchange of learning and best practices.
· Provide technical support through regular mentoring and coaching of ECCD facilitators and primary school teachers through closely working with education officers and assistants.
· Monitor project implementation, track progress and achievements and produce quality reports.
· Keep confidentiality and ethical practices of clients.
· Work closely with the M & E officer to put in place mechanisms and processes for regular review of project data and learning.
· Prepare activity, spending and procurement plans of different grants, track budget on time, develop purchase request tracking tool and follow budget utilization accordingly.
· Ensure quality budget management through BVA analysis on monthly basis.
· Complete quarterly reports, progress notes and program plan on time.
· Assist to develop actionable procurement, activity, spending plans and stick to them to avoid any over and underspending.
· Solve program problem via detail discussion, mediate with wider population about issues of post trauma.
· Monitor and follow up the effective implementation of the planned activities in targeted schools.
· Routinely participate in coordination meetings and scale partner to partner communication.
· Work cooperatively with other IPS to strengthen and smoothen referral and common responsibilities.
· Provide assessment, individual and group counselling sessions at school level with facilitators and team leaders.
- MA/MSC, BSC/BA or Diploma in education, Special need education, Educational Planning and Management, Educational leadership, and/or social sciences with 1 year experience for MA/MSC, 3years experience for degree holders, 5 years work experience for diploma holders and above preferable in education in emergencies and displacement settings
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at regional and woreda level and NGO experience is a plus
- Good understanding of the education sector in Tigray region.
- Demonstrable experience in facilitation of training/workshops
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with a multi-sectoral team.
- Fluency in Tigrigna language is advantageous with good spoken and written English skills as well as good communication and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of computers (particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook)
Method of ApplicationExternal
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
Closing Date : 20 September. 2021