Cashier Accountant and Admin Assistant at Farm Africa
- Company: Farm Africa
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Afar Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ethiopia
About Farm Africa
Effective agriculture has the power to change lives. It underpins prosperity, food security and stability the world over. Farm Africa focuses on transforming agriculture and managing natural resources sustainably. We champion a holistic approach that boosts yields, protects the environment and connects smallholder farmers to thriving markets.
We work with different types of farmers in a range of regions. Their local situations vary, but the problems they face are all too familiar: lack of training and technology, inadequate inputs, no finance, vulnerability to climate change and poor links to markets.
We have an ambitious strategy to expand our work over the next five years. We’ll increase our impact. Lift more communities out of poverty. Work with more corporate partners who share our vision. Open up more agricultural markets. Provide more expertise.
We’ll make change happen.
As part of the Growth for the Future program, Farm Africa Ethiopia has recently been awarded a grant from Sida to continue the market system entitled “Strengthening, Consolidating, and Sustaining/Scaling up the Market Systems Project for Improved Sustainable Livelihoods’ in Amhara. The project will be implemented by a consortium of partners of Farm Africa (Lead), ORDA and Mercy Corps. The overall goal of the project is contributing to food and nutrition security by developing a market system that works for the poor. Farm Africa will take a lead role for the project implementation, quality assurance, monitoring and evaluation, partner management and donor reporting. Farm Africa is looking for a qualified Cashier Accountant and Admin Assistant.
Purpose Of The Role
The purpose of the Cashier Accountant and Admin Assistant position is to provide secretarial, record keeping and office support services, handles & manage petty cash of the project, prepare payment documents, effect payments, bank reconciliation, keep financial records and documentation as well as prepare reports of the project. In addition, she/he support the Project Coordinator to administer, control, monitor, and periodically summarize the extent of financial operations and performance of the project. She/he provides effective and efficient support and advice to the immediate supervisor and project team as required.
Key Tasks And Responsibilities
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Prepare payments documents , attendance sheets and others on all payments the projects is making
- Manage the project bank account, including preparation and recording of payments, preparation of monthly bank reconciliation.
- Handles and manage project’s petty cash in a generally accepted standard norm.
- Prepare monthly account reports to submit to supervisor
- Review all payments against the budget and established rules and regulations.
- Assist the supervisor to review/ analyse monthly budget monitoring report for timely comment and if any adjustment
- Manage the operations of the project compound including telephone, electricity and water, manage office transport
- Handle all materials purchased and stored in proper manner including fuel coupon and follow up for on time utilization of the materials with the respective staff
- Conduct payment, purchase and collect project materials, deliver all materials purchased and stored to be used for intended purpose with a checking by as approved by PC.
- Verifies source documents for proper approval/authorization before they are filed and recorded;
- Assist in staff recruitment and disciplinary issues
- Develop close working relationships with all staff
- Develop and implement a system to ensure efficient use and safety of the project equipment, including timely and appropriate maintenance and monitoring of costs
- Conduct payment for different purchases, community and partners staff trainings, project staff and any other payments as approved by project coordinator.
- Ensures that all unused official documents and vouchers of the organization are properly registered and are available in sufficient quantity.
- Maintains filing of all financial documents and reports;
- Reports and follows up outstanding & unsettled payments and receipts.
- Monitor and follow-up receipt and answering of letters;
- Maintain office records and reference files on various subjects for easy access and reference;
- Submits monthly financial documents and reports.
- Handle all incoming and outgoing correspondences, file in a chronological order
- Ensure that all procurement documents field in a good manner;
- Keeps projects plan document for procurement in a separate file for reference;
- Ensures that accuracy of procurement documents and integrity of the procurement process;
- Make sure to follow the procedures of the procurement Manual;
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
DURATION: One and half year
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- College Diploma in Accounting/Secretarial Science/Office Management/other related fields from recognized college Or BA in Accounting/Management and relevant trainings
- five years of relevant work experience for diploma holders and two years of relevant work experience for degree holders
- experience on store and management
- Computer skills in Word, Excel, Access and QuickBooks
- Familiarity with office equipment operation
- Co-operative and willingness to work under pressure
- Respect culture, belief of the traditional communities
- Willingness to give a chance/opportunity to others
- Value the knowledge and ability of the community
- Ability to adapt to the existing environment
- Willingness to multi-task and work on own initiative
- Good team player and team builder
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
Method of Application
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 3 pages) and acover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing [email protected] with the subject Agribusiness Officer for Integrated Approach to Improving Rural Livelihoods project by 26 June 2020.
Documents cannot be returned and due to large number of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are especially welcomed from female applicants.
Closing date: June 26, 2020