Agronomy Advisor at Technoserve
- Company: Technoserve
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Oromia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Ethiopia
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
The primary objective of the TNS agronomy program will be to increase production of the coffee trees for coffee farmers through both yield improvement and behavioral shifts due to price incentives. This production improvement will be achieved through educating project farmers on agronomy and environmental best practices, farm management, and assisting them in applying those techniques at an individual farm level. TNS will use two-year farm college training and individual farm visits to improve farmer knowledge of agronomy techniques and oversee implementation.
Support the implementation of strategies that will enable smallholder coffee farmers to achieve sustainable increase in coffee quality and yields as per TechnoServe quality requirements. Responsible for day-to-day execution of the coffee agronomy program, activities plan, local stakeholder relations management and supervise project deliverables of farmer trainers to ensure the timely achievement of targets.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
RESPONSIBILITIES AS AGRONOMY ADVISOR
1. Planning and management of FTs
· Submit Weekly work plan – details of weekly trainings and attendance/observation plans
· Review Farmer trainer weekly work plan with dates and provide feedback and support as needed,
· Collect weekly training plans and data from Farmer trainers and relay the same to respective supervisors
· Clearly communicate goals and roles and responsibilities to all staff
· Provide feedback, coaching and development activities related to performance management, following HR guidelines.
· Notify Senior Agronomy Advisor of any performance issues as soon as observed.
· Develop a team spirit among all reports.
· Submit Farmer Trainer of the month nominations for own reports
2. Conduct monthly Agronomy trainings to FTs
· Model the monthly agronomy training to Farmer trainers at local training demonstration plot
· Supervise teach-backs and give feedback
· Ensure all training materials reach Farmer trainers on time
3. Observe FTs delivering training at demo plot
· Ensure Training observation tablet and paper Forms are completed for each visit and feedback and coaching given to the Farmer trainer, meet monthly targets
· Complete the training observation form and give feedback and coaching to Farmer trainer
· Check attendance form, cross check with number of farmers seen as present. Ensure reported data is accurate.
· Check demo plot status, complete form and give feedback to Farmer trainer
4. Visit farmers
· Pick farmers at random and do attendance spot check via a digitalized tablet system.
· Discuss training, farmer adoption and challenges
· Complete Best Practice check list
5. Visit Demo plots
· Meet with Focal Farmer and discuss any challenges
· Check demo plot status, complete form and give feedback to Farmer trainer.
· Visit demo plots as per weekly targets and relay information using the systems provided for the same
6. Attendance M & E
· Collect, check for completion and submit complete set of Farmer trainers’ attendance sheets to Senior Agronomy Advisor within 1 week of training completion.
· Discuss any attendance issues with Farmer trainers and Senior Agronomy Advisor and develop action plan.
· Compile weekly attendance update and submit to Senior Agronomy Advisor
· Ensure high quality (error free) training attendance are collected, reviewed and delivered to the M&E team on timely/monthly basis.
· Complete Attendance spot check Tablet Form for each Focal Farmer Group he/she supervises
7. Impact report
· On quarterly basis collect farmers’ success and impact stories and farmers’ quotes using the guidelines provided and share the stories with the supervisor
· Capture phots to accompany the impact stories. Photos should be of high quality and should be taken following the guidelines put in place.
8. Prepare & check Farmer Trainers expenses
· Collect official voucher receipts for transport and accommodation, verify to ensure accuracy before submission
· Submit these documents to the Senior Agronomy Advisor in a timely fashion
9. Stakeholder Management
· Create a good working relationship with stakeholders.
· Holding meeting with Agricultural Development and administration offices of the appropriate Woredas once every quarter.
· Meet with Kebele leaders to give progress report every quarter.
· Support Farmer trainers to mobilize farmers at the Kebele level.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Agronomy Advisor or the project Manager
· Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or Plant science. May accept experience in lieu of a degree.
· Has at least three years’ professional experience – ideally private sector – in Coffee Agronomy.
· Strong planning skills and experience working to strict time-guidelines
· Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
· Willingness to spend significant time and actually live in rural areas
· Excellent communication skills, written and oral, in both English and local languages- Oromiffa is a MUST
· Computer literacy, Business Acumen
· Renewed Motor bicycle riding license, ability and willingness to ride a motor bicycle is a MUST
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 1 October. 2021