Agronomist at The Pharo Foundation
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: The Pharo Foundation
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Ethiopia
The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with an emphasis on job creation.
Established in 2011 as a UK based non-profit, the Foundation has already carried out more than 30 projects, primarily in Ethiopia and Somaliland. The key themes for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water and agriculture. Social enterprises cover all areas where the Foundation feels an effective impact can be made with the aim of sustainability and job creation.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation also has an operational HQ in Nairobi and offices in, Addis Ababa, Assosa and Hargeisa.
The position holder is expected to discharge the following key responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare farm production plan and detail operational budget;
- Ensure that all aspects of production and post harvest handling are carried out on time and to an acceptable standard;
- Ensures that production targets are met with acceptable budget utilization;
- Supervise the activities of Assistant workers and other staff under his/her command.
- Ensures the setting and proper implementation of operational plans and programs in all aspects of the farm;
- Ensures that pesticide, fertilizer, irrigation and other chemicals are applied accurately and on time as per the standard;
- Identify training needs and arrange trainings for employees in all aspects of the farm;
- Ensure that all activities of the farm are recorded and reported timely and properly;
- Regularly inspect the farm to ensure that plants are up to the standard and are protected from diseases pests with proper application of chemicals and management etc;
- Conduct scientific research that will contribute to the production quality and productivity of the farm
- Ensures the proper management of the farms human and other resources.
- Observe plants and develop new methods of growing plants, cultivation and harvesting to secure more efficient production, higher yield and improved quality;
- Any other duties as and when required by immediate supervisor that are reasonably within the capabilities of the incumbent and are aimed at achieving the company’s objectives and goals
- BGRS, Assosa Zone Menge Woreda, Shaga Demazin Kebele ( Pharo Farms)-60 Km from Assosa town
- General Manager
Reporting to the General Manager, Agronomist is responsible for the planning and management of all farm activities and proper technical flow of Pharo Farms. He/She will assist the General Manager in generating plant production, protection and postharvest protocols and forecast, preparation of schedules and employee assignments as well as developing methods of improving farm quality and productivity.
Education /Experience /Language requirements and other competencies
- B.Sc. in Agronomy, Crop/Plant Science, Horticulture, or related field
- A minimum of 8 years of which 3 years in the management of commercial farms and/or mechanized farming
- Knowledge of Commercial farming, Mechanized farming including irrigation and related experience of management of Cereals, Vegetables and Fruits
- Technical Knowledge and agronomic knowhow on the above mentioned crops
Language Requirements and other skills
- Full working knowledge of English and Amharic with good verbal and written communication skills is essential.
How to Apply
Please send to - [email protected]
- Your CV
- A covering letter briefly outlining how you meet the key duties and responsibilities and the required qualities and skills for the position you are applying for (max. 1,000 words).
- A statement briefly summarising how you would help in improving quality and equity of primary and secondary level education in the context of rural Ethiopia (max. 500 words).
- Your current or last benefit package and expected benefit package for this position.
Deadline for submission of applications is Nov 22, 2019.
Applications that do not fully meet the above listed requirements will NOT be assessed.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Note that to include the title of the position you are applying for in subject line.