Agricultural Transformation Agency Jobs in Ethiopia : Senior Transformation Agenda Specialist – Seed production and Distribution
Welcome to Jobwebethiopia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ethiopia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA)
- Location: Addis Ababa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Ethiopia
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoALR), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
A Delivery Unit at the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and jointly overseen by the Ethiopian Agriculture Transformation Agency (ATA) is being introduced to:
- Strengthen the effectiveness of the Ministry and affiliated institutions (Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research and Federal Cooperatives Agency) in implementing GTP II Agricultural Transformation Agenda (TA) Deliverables, Sub-Deliverables and Activities
- Clarify and enhance ATA’s model for providing implementation support to MoA and affiliated institutions.
The Delivery Unit will focus in four areas for the remainder of the GTP II period:
1) Planning and execution effectiveness
2) Tracking, reporting and escalation
3) Problem solving and light analytical support
4) Technical support.
Within the Delivery Unit, the Senior Transformation Agenda Specialist (STAS) , Seed Production and Supply will report directly to Plant Variety Release, Protection and Seed Quality Control (PVRPSQC) Director, MoA with a side way support role to the Input Marketing and Crop development Directorates in their seed production and marketing mandates respectively, who are the implementing coordinators for the following TA Sub-Deliverables on which the TA Advisor will focus:
- Create enabling environment for production and access of Early Generation Seed (EGS) across all producers
- Facilitate access to finance and other support for domestic seed producers and distributers
- Facilitate evidence based decision making through information exchange and dialogue on strategic seed sector issues.
- Develop and harmonize implementation of seed proclamation, regulations, directives and guidelines across regions and propose standards including climate change adaptation.
- Enhance service coverage and seed law enforcement of certification agencies across all seed producers, distributors, facilitators in mandated geographies
- Finalize structural reform and enhance capacity of federal variety release, protection and certification
- Finalize structural reform and strengthen seed certification capacity at regional levels
- Endorse and operationalize Plant Breeders Right (PBR) and implement royalty for protected plant varieties
He/she will also have a second, functional reporting line to the Transformation Agenda Advisor -Agriculture Development Sector, the Delivery Unit at MoA, and will work closely with other staffs engaged in the implementation of the TA Sub-Deliverables listed above as well as other staff in the Delivery Unit to support effective implementation of these Sub-Deliverables. The STAS will therefore bring the requisite technical skills and expertise, as well as implementation experience, to effectively support in all four focus areas of the Delivery Unit described above.
The roles and responsibilities of the Senior Transformation Agenda Specialist (STAS) in each focus area of the Delivery Unit and with respect to the specific TA Sub-Deliverables noted above are as follows.
Planning and execution effectiveness
- Provide input and overall support to ensure effective annual planning, budgeting and target setting activities for all Sub-Deliverables
- Provide close support to implementation coordinator/s in prioritization of interventions along the seed supply chain
- Provide advises on enhancing the effectiveness of the private( including seed unions) and public sectors in the seed industry across the country in the production and marketing of seeds with a focus on meeting GTP II targets set for the sector
- Provide support for the enhancement of the regulatory and institutional capacity along the seed supply chain, including prioritization of investments in the sector
- Provides support in the introduction and scaling up of ICT systems along the seed supply chain for enhancing effectiveness and efficiency across the seed supply chain
- Provide support in linking federal and regional regulatory institutions in effective implementation of interventions
- Provide additional support as may be demanded by the implementation coordinator and the DU head pertinent to the TADs.
Tracking, reporting and escalation
- Undertake regular follow-up and monitoring of all activities of the Sub-Deliverables, engaging with relevant Activity and Task Owners to ensure activities are on track and reporting through OTS and other tools is timely and accurate
- Support data collection for timely and accurate reporting
- Identify and escalate challenges around implementation and reporting, as well as solutions, options and recommendations, to Sub-Deliverable Implementing Coordinator and/or Owner, as appropriate
Problem solving and light analytical support
- Identify critical technical issues directly related to Sub-Deliverable design and/or implementation
- Analyze and develop solution options and recommendations for these critical issues, and engage with relevant staff within the Ministry and external partners to align on adjustments required
- Proactively engage other DU staff and/or external partners for heavier or more analytical problem solving support where needed
- Support the creation of range of producers and multiple channels for the delivery of seeds timely, efficiently and accountably to farmers through introducing more efficient systems
- (enter any additional points specific to assigned Sub-Deliverables)
- Contribute to ToRs, concept notes, studies, workshops, and training materials, directly related to Sub-Deliverable and areas of technical expertise
- Review policies, strategies, directives, guidelines and other technical relevant documents in area of assignment to identify technical gaps and develop recommendations.
- Technical support to maintain and improve coordination platforms across the seed value chain.
- Provide other technical advisory and input needed for effective Sub-Deliverable implementation
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum MSc (PhD degree preferred) preferably in Seed science, plant science , and agronomy
- More than 6 years of experience (with MA/MSc) in government, non-government, international or private sector organizations, and in areas directly relevant to Seed systems development and technical expertise
- Specific experience in planning, prioritizing, sequencing, managing, problem-solving and reporting on implementation of both programmatic and operational activities
- Fluency in English and Amharic
- Deep understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural sector, with specific to seed system, with a broad perspective on how the entire system operates and how public, private(including seed Cooperatives) and non-government organization operate in the system
- An extensive network, and relationships with the key market players, both locally and internationally, within seed, and related markets
- Practical experience in implementing solutions at the local level and the zeal to work with rural communities to change their situations
- Experience with program design, performance management, learning systems and monitoring & evaluation
- Self-starter with strong motivation, ownership and commitment to deliver results and drive agricultural transformation
- Exhibits an innovative and high-performance mindset and culture, and can perform at a high level under pressure and in challenging environments
- Promotes data-driven and evidence-based problem-solving, and timely, effective decision-making
- Demonstrates leadership, vision, and ability to motivate and strengthen accountability of others
- Can act as a champion for change and can effectively support change management efforts
- Strong team player with excellent relationship building and management skill, ability to promote dialogue and communicate clearly and confidently, and a network of professional contacts
- Proactively seeks and acts on feedback to drive own development and contributes to others’ development through active coaching and sharing knowledge and best practices
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages), and (iii) a completed ATA Application Form at http://apply.ata.gov.et or email to [email protected]
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.